Monday, November 19, 2007

Displaying Your UFOs

UFOs are commonly known in the knitting world as UnFinished knitted Objects. Nobody's perfect, we all have those little demons hiding in the closet, under our knitting chair or in storage. You all know what I'm talking about. I personally have a HUGE bin I hide downstairs for rainy days which never seem to come. Sometimes we are too quick to jump on another project and we slowly forget what we had been working on in the first place. Solution: hang it!

Has she gone mad, you say? Nope, not yet anyways. A few years ago, I started working on the "Great American Afghan" which was a cumulation of a 5-part series in the Knitter's Magazine which ran over an entire year. It contained 25 various patterns each created by a different designer. Squares varied in difficulty and I highly recommend it to any knitter who needs a challenge or simply wants to improve their skills. I knitted a few squares during the summer months but Fall came along and other projects called to me and it ended up in my UFO bin. About a year ago, while sorting through yarns I came across my little squares. I had forgotten how pretty and unique the designs were. Lightening struck! Why not frame them and display them as they truly are... beautiful! So I visited a local craft shop and got myself a few shadow boxes which I placed prominently just above our bed. Not only pretty, it provides me with daily inspiration. Not a bad idea, n'est-ce pas?


No comments: