Tuesday, October 23, 2007

English Style Combs

Wonderful spinner's guild meeting last night. All about using different types of combs. I borrowed the Guild's English style combs and went to work on some Border Leicester that was given to me at the meeting. :c)

Quick history: English Style Combs were the standard of the combing indutry from the Middle Ages until the late industrial revolution. Combing was the last aspect of wool processing to become mechanized.

Here are some photos of my little experiment. I must say, I was extremely impressed with the rovings produced by the combs. A little time consuming (as opposed to using a drum carder) but well worth it.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing work, Julie! You are becoming a real whizz kid with the spinning. Keep on going.

Bernice